How To Make Fries In The Oven: Frying Alternative
French fries—delicious and crispy—is a perfect snack whether you want to go solo or on a group date. Fries are thinly-cut potatoes that are usually deep-fried.
But, if you have grown a little more health-conscious, oven-baked fries could be just the thing for you.
With this guide, you will learn how to make fries in the oven—fast and easy. Are you ready? Let’s start!
Deep Fried Vs. Oven-Baked Fries
If you have been deep frying your French fries all these years, you might easily spot its difference with oven-baked fries.
Deep-fried fries are much crispier and have a more golden color compared to oven-baked ones, which are softer and lighter. However, there is a hack to make oven-baked fries crispier. You’ll find out in the next section.
Moreover, oven-baked fries can hold flavors better than the deep-fried version. So, you can be more experimental in baking fries. Sprinkle herbs and other seasonings, and you would not have to worry about these falling off like in deep-fried fries.
Oven-baked fries are also healthier as they are lesser in oil, fat, and calories.
How To Make Homemade Baked Fries
Sure, you’ve heard that homemade fries baked are easy to prepare. But, have you heard about the method on how to make them crispy?
Here’s how to make homemade fries in oven to achieve the best results.
- 4 large Russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt, or seasoning of your choice
It’s exciting to bake potatoes especially if this is your first time. But, don’t let your excitement get into you. Carefully follow these steps, making sure you do not miss one. We guarantee you the best results!
Prepare the potatoes:
- Scrub the potatoes to remove excess dirt. Leave the skin on.
- Cut into evenly-sized sticks.
- Soak the potatoes for 30 minutes. Soaking removes starch from the potatoes resulting to crispier fries.
- Then, dry the potatoes well. You can toss them on a salad spinner to remove excess water. Then, pat them dry with a paper towel.
Bake the potatoes:
- Pre-heat the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line your sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Arrange the potato sticks in the parchment paper, laying them in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt.
- Place your sheet in the middle rack of the oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn up the temperature to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, then cook about 20 minutes more or until crisp. Continuously check the fries so they will not get burned, especially if you have thin slices.
- Once your potatoes are done, carefully take them out of the oven.
- Serve with your favorite dip. Enjoy!
Make sure that you keep an eye on your fries while baking. Do not leave the oven unattended.
It’s no surprise that oven-baked fries are healthier than deep-fried ones. They even cost cheaper as you do not use too much oil in preparation. Share this recipe on how to make fries in the oven. This way, your family and friends will have a healthier option for their favorite snack.