How Deep Are Over The Range Microwaves
These days, microwaves are so popular that an estimated 90% of families in the US have microwaves in their homes. One type of microwave that is in demand for consumers is an over-the-range microwave. Aside from already being a handy appliance for your kitchen, its primary advantage is that it gives you more room for space in your kitchen counter since it is located above your stove. Know how to make measurements and how deep are over the range microwaves before installing one.
Some Helpful Tips Before Installing Over-The-Range Microwave
Despite its popularity, the depth of the over-the-range microwave poses a problem to most of its consumers. If you plan to buy an over-the-range microwave, we suggest that you measure the space where you will place your microwave and know the measurements of your microwave as well.
So how deep are over the range microwaves? Depending on the model of the microwave, its standard depth varies from 12 to 18 inches. Its width is usually under 30 inches wide, and its height is about 10 to 18 inches.
Here are some helpful tips you might want to consider before you install your over-the-range microwave:
- Measure the space - Since you already measured the open space above your stove where you will install your microwave. You should measure the height from your floor to the top of the microwave as well. A requirement of 66 inches from floor to top of the microwave is necessary. This will give you a space of 13-16 inches between the cooktop and the bottom of your microwave.
- Clear out your kitchen - Remove your stove and clear out your kitchen counter before installing your microwave. Having a clear space when installing your over-the-range microwave will make it much easier for you to move around.
- Install outlet - Make sure you have an assigned outlet for your microwave. Install your outlet inside the cabinet, where you will place your microwave to avoid exposing it. Make sure to give a little space from your microwave to your outlet
- Prepare the tools needed - Make a checklist of all the tools you will need and prepare them before starting your installation. You don't want to stop in the middle of installing your microwave just because you lack a few screws. So, get your tools ready before you start.
- Ask someone to help you - You will be dealing with a lot of heavy lifting, moving around things so don't hesitate to have someone to help you. Request a friend or family member to help with the installation.
- Keep the manual with you - All microwave has its user's manual. Keep it close before you start installing your microwave. You might end up using it as much as you think.
With the measurement of your microwave and the space where you are going to install it, you can now choose which model of over-the-range microwave you want to purchase.